Fabulous Friday Frivolity

These arrived on a package of new ram.

I am amused.

Ram for ram.

Teehee.

Advertisements

Eye Shadow Nail Polish

I want to use empty eye shadow trays for another craft project, so when I bought this shadow at the Dollar Tree, I knew just what to do with the extra powder.

I first read about this idea of putting unused eye shadow into clear nail polish to make a new color of nail polish on Delighted Momma’s blog right here.

It looked really easy and fun, so I had to try it for myself.

  1. I used the pointy end of a small paint brush to get the eye shadow out of the tray.
  2. I emptied the loose powder onto a small piece of paper.
  3. I used the brush end to clean out the spare bits.
  4. I got out my clear nail polish.

5.  I made a funnel with the paper and tapped the shadow down into the bottle.

6.  I replaced the cap and shook up the polish and eye shadow mixture.

Voila!

It’s quite a pretty shade of pinky red.

I found a volunteer to test out the polish.

This is one coat of eye shadow nail polish.  It went on fairly smoothly.  You’d probably need two coats for the best look.

Banana Raspberry Shake

As you may have read previously, I’ve been enjoying a variety of shakes.

This one was banana, raspberry, XANGO FAVAO™ Protein (Vegetable) powder, gluten-free oatmeal, and water. No extra fiber as we’re out of it.

Compared to milk based shakes, I don’t have an upset stomach or scratchy throat afterwards, and with the protein powder and fiber in the oatmeal, I am set for several hours.

And the irony of having this healthy drink in a Coca-Cola glass doesn’t escape me, either!

Cheers!

Saucy Sassy Sunday

A story!

Way back in the 90s, college had given me a lot of new habits.  Once such habit, being more brazen with my words, was dubbed “saucy” by my unimpressed mother.  I had seen some SNL episodes by then, and kept telling her it was “Sassy!” not Saucy.  She was not moved.

I have in this way perhaps an unconventional relationship with my dear parents.  I am pretty unrestricted. This especially comes out when trying to convince them to do something dramatic.

Yesterday, I was determined to remove a bookshelf and put a clothes rack in its place.  My father was pretty sure this was a bad idea, and did not see how I could accomplish the task.  I have my belongings packed into that room, and it is stuffed to the gills.  But I persevered!  The shelf is now temporarily stored in the garage, and he and I got some good exercise moving it.  My mom and I maneuvered a clothes rack into the shelf’s place.  Things are happening slowly, but I am happy!

Clock Makeover

Clock Makeover

I started with this clock.

The face of the clock had to change.

First, I thought I had to remove the back to get to the front.  So I removed all of the guts – the battery, the clock parts, the hands… only to find out I just needed to pry the top plastic piece off!

I learned how clocks are assembled though!  Good things.

So first, I picked a design. Jessica Smith, on her blog A Smith of all Trades, inspired using lyrics as art.  Her “Born This Way” art is gorgeous!

Skotte and I are huge Pearl Jam fans, with one of our favorites being “Given to Fly”, so I picked a verse from the song to put on the clock face.  I used GIMP to make the circle and arrange the text.

And he still gives his love, he just gives it way.

The love he receives is the love that is saved

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky

A human being that was given to fly.

I printed it on some pale pink scrapbook paper cut down to 8.5×11 inches.  Luckily, the clock face was less than 8.5 inches!  (I kind of wish the pink color was brighter, but it works.)

After cutting out the circle, I put a coat of sparkle mod podge on the lyrics.

While waiting for it to dry, I put the guts back onto the clock.  After it was dry, I put it onto the clock.

I cut out one inch tall numbers using my Cricut machine, and the original cartridge with which it came.  I carefully glued (with more sparkle mod podge) the numbers onto the lyric face.  (The aren’t perfectly aligned, but it’s close enough for jazz, right?)

It needed one last thing. Butterflies, of course!  Cathe Holden, from Just Something I Made, is a total craft goddess.  You have to check out her blog!  Pertinent to this project though, she has a free printable of butterflies and moths. I used GIMP again to manipulate a few images to colors that I wanted, and printed the sheet out on 4×6 inch photo paper.  Perfect size for my project.

I carefully cut out four butterflies, and then sparkle mod podged them into place.  Then I let the whole thing dry overnight.

This morning, I messed with the hands, and the clock seems to be working ok, so I put the cover back on.  And Voila!

New Clock!

I can’t wait to show Skotte when he gets back from Origins.

I think I am also going to have him spray paint the bells and hardware a pink to match the face instead of the gold.