In the Spice Rack is a labor of love for me. On this day of celebrating LOVE, I want to share with you the WHY.
I’ve mentioned briefly that my life has not gone at all the way I planned. As I entered college, I had a definitive plan – get my 4-year degree, then a Masters and possibly a doctorate. Write music, play and sing all over the world. Teach. I never planned on getting “rich,” but music was my passion. I lived and breathed music and I was pretty good at it.
I did not anticipate a lengthy list of things that would stand in my way. My teacher left my university and I never really connected with a mentor after that. I experienced a horrible time with depression. A diagnosis of fibromyalgia came when I was around 20. School and life circumstances left me burnt out, sad, lonely, and broken. I had many surgeries, culminating in a partial hysterectomy at age 25. I made myself small inside, because I didn’t think I deserved my dreams.
Today I look at these obstacles as rare gifts.
The gifts give me the opportunity to think outside of the box, and to use my creativity as a tool.
It is not easy for me to do things differently from people around me. I compare myself to others, and ask myself, “Wouldn’t it be easier to go get a regular job?” It would offer stability and structure. But, I would not be happy with this choice long term. I would be building someone else’s dream.
I am doing this because it is my life’s work. I want to inspire you to do the same. I want to live an extraordinary life. I want to share my dream with you.
I view life like a spice rack.
You can start off with the same basic ingredients, but how your mixture will taste depends on the herbs, spices, and flavorings you put into it. Your mixture will be different from your neighbor. You might add more or less orange flavoring, with pecan sprinkles on top and a dash of cinnamon.
I have a lot of friends who also make jewelry, but we all do it differently. Even if we all made the same items, they would be put together differently! We each speak to different people’s hearts. There is room for everyone!
I want to help people reach their own unique dreams.
I want to simultaneously fulfill my dreams.
What sorts of things fill up my Life Spice Rack?
- Music is still a big important part of my life! – listening to and sharing music that I love!
- Connecting with people in my community – Part of this for me is being involved at my church, Downtown United Presbyterian Church
- Writing poetry
- Creating crafts and jewelry
- Playing board games, video games, and role playing games
- Learning about the world and different cultures
- Eating organic food in the right combinations and amounts
- Learning what exercises my body can do, and trying to push my boundaries when I can!
- Using personal care products and cleaning products that are safe for my body – I am extremely sensitive to chemicals.
- Writing stories that give lessons and entertain
- Writing music!
- Playing the violin and singing
- Helping and caring for others
Soon, I am going to announce my next step and I want you to come along with me!
And have a wonderful Valentine’s Day!